String Theory is a chamber music series bringing exceptional concerts to downtown Chattanooga at the Hunter Museum of American Art. Founded in 2009 by pianist Gloria Chien, String Theory aspires to expose new audiences to chamber music, invigorate the local classical music scene, and cultivate a future generation of music lovers. String Theory has not only enhanced the cultural landscape of Chattanooga but has also become one of the premier chamber music series in the country.
The Operations Assistant is the main point of contact for all artists, partners, sponsors, vendors, and patrons. Reporting directly to the Artistic Director, the Operations Assistant helps to achieve String Theory’s artistic, educational, and community engagement goals. The Operations Assistant, under the supervision and direction of the Artistic Director, oversees all concert operations, educational events, community outreach, development, marketing and box office management. This position also supervises the String Theory Interns who assist with concert operations and other tasks as assigned.
- Coordinate and confirm logistics with artists and/or their management
- Work cooperatively with the staff of the concert venue (Hunter Museum) to ensure smooth concert logistics
- Act as Artist Liaison for day-of-show and coordinate artists pick up/drop offs
- Coordinate with our operations partners for day-of-show (stage, piano, tuning, recording, videographer, photographer, etc.)
- Communicate program details between Graphic Designer, Director and Printer
- Communicate with appropriate parties regarding ads and marketing
- Organize and distribute sponsor and donor complimentary tickets
- Prepare green room needs and coordinate post-concert dinners
- Recruit and organize volunteers for the concert
- Day-of-show responsibilities include taking headcounts, various artist forms, overseeing patron check-in and the volunteers for the concerts
- Assist the Artistic Director with any and all tasks as assigned
- Coordinate education/community outreach events and Annual Family Concert
- Coordinate Outreach Residency (week-long) logistics between the schools
- Assist with the String Theory Youth Internship and Intern Coordinators as needed
- General record-keeping of donations
- Coordinate fundraising mailings
- Track donor and sponsor benefits and send thank you notes
- Write grants with the assistance of Lee University’s Grant Writing Office
- Create pre-concert and weekly/bi-weekly newsletter e-blast campaigns
- Manage all social media (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter).
- Coordinate direct-mail campaigns
- Using Eventbrite software, maintain ticketing system that includes online ticket sales and on-site ticketing
- Manage and organize ticket check-in list for concerts
TRAITS AND CHARACTERISTICS
The Operations Assistant must be a mature and poised artistic administrator with successful experience working with musicians and other members of the artistic community. A successful candidate will be an organized, motivated self-starter with strong oral and written communication skills, an excellent event planner, and have the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously. This position requires a positive attitude that instills trust and confidence. String Theory prides itself on its culture of hospitality and generosity, and the Operations Assistant should reflect this approach in all correspondence and duties.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIREMENTS
A Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required, and a minimum of one year of experience working in arts administration is preferred. Exemplary organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills are essential. Successful candidates will have the energy and flexibility required to be effective in a fast-paced environment and work well with a wide variety of people, including other artistic professionals and patrons.
This individual must have a valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle for business use. The candidate should have strong proficiency with Google Docs, as well as Microsoft Word and Excel. Experience with social media, Mailchimp, and Eventbrite are preferred.
String Theory does not have an office space. The Operations Assistant works from home, but will also take meetings with various community and educational partners, and must be on-site for all String Theory performances, activities, and other community events. The Operations Assistant sets his/her own schedule which often does not adhere to a traditional 40-hour workweek, as work in the evenings and weekends is to be expected.
This position requires extensive office work. Most people the Operations Assistant corresponds with, including the Artistic Director, live in other cities and states across the country, so most communication is done remotely via email or telephone.
This position requires extended periods of sitting and standing, as well as physical and emotional stamina. The Operations Assistant must have the ability to move quickly and carefully and be able to lift up to 40 pounds or less on occasion.
String Theory employees are effectively an employee of Lee University which acts as String Theory’s fiscal agent. Employer benefits are subject to Lee University’s policies and guidelines.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Submit a resume, cover letter, and reference list to email@example.com with “Operations Assistant Position” in the subject line by November 1, 2019. All documents should be in PDF format.
String Theory is an equal opportunity employer.