Director of Operations, String Theory at the Hunter
The Director of Operations is the main point of contact for all artists, partners, sponsors, vendors, and patrons. This position reports directly to the Artistic Director.
The Director of Operations, under the supervision and direction of the Artistic Director, oversees all concert operations, educational events, community outreach, development, marketing and box office management. This position supervises a part-time assistant to ensure timelines, budget, and quality standards are met and works closely with the Artistic Director to achieve String Theory’s artistic and community engagement goals.
Application Deadline: April 23, 2021
Anticipated Start Date: June 1, 2021
- Work collaboratively with the staff of the concert venue (Hunter Museum) to ensure smooth concert logistics
- Supervise a small team of volunteers and an assistant to manage the box office and ticketing, concert set-up, front of house and back of house logistics, and other day-of-show responsibilities
- Coordinate with our operations partners for day-of-show (stage, piano, tuning, recording, videographer, photographer, etc.)
- Oversee creation of printed materials (programs, posters, program notes, etc.)
- Act as Artist Liaison for day-of-show and coordinate artists pick up/drop offs
- Prepare grant proposals and reports with the assistance of Lee University’s Grant Writing Office
- Track all donations and send thank-you notes
- Develop and maintain good relationships with key donors, sponsors, and partnering organizations
- Assist in growing sponsorships and research funding opportunities for each season
- Coordinate fundraising mailings
- Prepare invoices for vendors, sponsors, and artists
- Track expenses and revenue
- Assist in budget creation
- Generate financial reports as needed
- Monitor email accounts, phone line, and send out Mailchimp newsletters and updates
- Manage contracts for operations vendors, artists, and sponsors with the support of the Artistic Director
- Prepare and manage ads for online and local promotion
- Assist in the preparation of press releases and send out to local contacts
- Tailor advertising approach to individual concerts
- Work closely with graphic designer to create for-print and digital marketing materials
- Education/Community Outreach
- Coordinate education/community outreach events and Annual Family Concert
- Coordinate Outreach Residency (week-long) logistics between the schools
- Assist with the String Theory Youth Internship as needed
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in the Performing Arts, Arts Administration, Business or an equivalent field
- 3 or more years of experience in arts administration or arts related or administrative work
- Essential Requirements
- Driver’s license and access to a vehicle is essential
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds and be on one’s feet for extended periods of time
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, as needed
- Must have home office space
- Strong proficiency with Google Docs, Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and Zoom
- Personal Traits
- Strong organization, communication (written and oral), and problem-solving skills with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Approachable and works well with a wide variety of people, including artistic professionals and high-profile patrons
- Self-motivated and well-organized, with willingness to be flexible while managing multiple projects and meeting deadlines
- Highly collaborative individual with a positive and helpful attitude
- Other Qualifications
- Knowledge of classical music is a plus
- Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign (or Canva) and WordPress is desirable
- Grant experience preferred
String Theory does not have an office space. The Director of Operations works from home but will also take meetings with various community and educational partners, and must be on-site for all String Theory performances, activities, and other community events. The Director of Operations sets his/her own schedule which often does not adhere to a traditional 40-hour work week, as work in the evenings and weekends is to be expected.This position requires extensive office work. Most people the Director of Operations corresponds with, including the Artistic Director, live in other cities and states across the country, so most communication is done remotely via email or telephone.
This position requires extended periods of sitting and standing, as well as physical and emotional stamina. The Director of Operations must have the ability to move quickly and carefully and be able to lift up to 40 pounds or less on occasion.
String Theory employees are effectively an employee of Lee University which acts as String Theory’s fiscal agent. Employer benefits are subject to Lee University’s policies and guidelines.
Offers full-time salary with benefits including health insurance and home office stipend.
Please send resumé, cover letter, list of references (2-3), and writing sample(s)* to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Writing samples could include newsletters, blog posts, articles, communications to donors/patrons, or anything you have in your portfolio that would give us a sense of how you communicate. Everything you share will be kept confidential, but please feel free to redact names or personal details as you see fit. Work samples can be submitted via PDF file or URL link.